Wednesday, February 28, 2024

A Second Opinion can Change Everything


 My long Covid saga continues and I have some really hopeful news. I went for a second opinion with another pulmonologist who took his time and listened to me and the history of my tests over the past ten months. He not only heard me and compared my progress but also is going to do all the necessary tests to rule out and get to the bottom of why I continue to have low oxygen levels and fatigue. I sobbed. The other doc didn’t hear me or explain to me or analyze what has been going on. It was easy for me to feel poopooed and that I was exaggerating my symptoms. That was miserable. This doc validated that I am not lazy but that something has changed in me physically due to this Covid. 

He is going to look at and hopefully rule out cardiac issues, auto-immune complications, and take another ct scan of my lungs and possibly legs to rule out blood clots. The ct of my lungs from May and October showed a worsening of their condition and he was surprised that another one was not done to make sure my lungs were improving not getting worse. I saw him Monday and two days later I am going in for blood work and those scans of my lungs. It will be a couple weeks till I can get in for the heart tests but I am so thankful and hopeful that I am going to know what is wrong and how we can address it sooner than later. 

My advice to you is that if you feel unheard by a medical person don’t get caught up believing that there is nothing wrong. You are not a being a baby. I am not being a baby. There is something wrong and we just need to find the right doctor to hear us and be willing to investigate. I am not lazy. The first pulmonologist was the lazy one who did not take the time to hear me, share results with me or get to the bottom of my symptoms. I am so glad many of you encouraged me to get this second opinion. Thank you. 

I look forward to learning what is going on rather than just being told to rub dirt on it and power through. That may be the final answer but it will be an informed answer. For now I will continue praying and listen to my body for direction moving forward along with these new test results. The good news is that I have gone from not being able to walk a thousand steps a day to making my goal five thousand. So I am aware of the improvement that has been happening in this recovery journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment