Saturday, March 16, 2024

Delicate Snowfall to Embracing Moms

 




It is once again snowing this morning and as I look outside I see a seemingly pregnant deer grazing on the crabapples the wind has knocked to the ground. What a peaceful scene I am privy to. So I made my coffee and just drank it gazing out the window over my kitchen sink. What a sweet, quiet beginning to my day. 

This week has been a quieter week with my grandgirl, Elissa, and her seventeen month old gone for spring break. Today I will finish my coffee, write this blog and head down to pick them up from the train two hours away. Soon my car will be full of conversations about their trip and the joy that little Caleb brings with his antics. It is unclear how long this little family will live in the same town as I do. But I know I need to cherish not only the quiet times when they are gone but all the joyfilled ones when they are here. 

Yesterday, Ronnie B and I were talking on FaceTime with our little Millie who is two and a half. She lives hundreds of miles from us but we stay connected through visits and technology. It occurred to me how many littles are in our lives and what a gift they are. So I decided I needed to list them by age just for my own self but you can join me below. 

In May we will welcome our first great- grandgirl Maeve.

Maeve -2 months.                                                                                                                                          Auggie 6 months.                                                                                                                                           Caleb 17 months                                                                                                                                          Millie 2 1/2 years                                                                    Felix 4                                                                                                                                         Amalia 10                                                                                                                                                  Timmy 14.                                                                                                                                                     Kayla 16 in a couple weeks.                                                                                                                     Kenzie almost 18                                                                                                                                         Elissa almost 20

What a charmed life I lead with all these grands in my life. I am thankful for the quiet but beyond thrilled that there is also the chaotic joy of having grandkids. Along with these that I love dearly are so many other chosen children that share their wee and not so wee ones with my. 

Angelica with her two, Jenn and Justin Nunz who have their three, my Houze clan who boast a whopping five, and others I may be forgetting since I haven’t poured my second cup. My life is so full of love and gladness. 



I want to share this with others who either don’t have kiddos in their life or who have them living far away. The idea of us white haired ladies embracing moms in our community has been on my heart for years. Just an hour donated here or there to walk beside a mom whose own mom may not be available. I have been too distracted or lazy to make this a reality. Now a staff at the senior center is willing to talk to me about making it a reality. All of us need littles in our lives whether from the neighborhood, church or someone you meet in line at the grocery store there are moms of toddlers and teens who could use you. 

What a win-win situation. Mom gets a much needed conversation or break from her kids and us seasoned moms get a family in our community to light up our days an hour or two at a time. This Embracing Moms is a concept that God put on my heart over a decade ago. Now is the time to give it wings. 

In Him,

Joyful

3-16-24


No comments:

Post a Comment