Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Best Way Out Is Always Through

He's sitting in a rocking chair. Strange that this doctor is telling me I will never, ever have a baby and he is sitting in a rocking chair.

There are times in our lives that a single moment changes the coarse of our lives forever. After surgery, while I was still groggy from anesthesia, my life changed forever. This body of mine would never carry a child. I would never see a little Ron Barber running around our house. The surgeon who was delivering this dreaded news was sitting in a large wooden rocking chair. Talk about irony.

When our kids were young, Julie and I supported each other if and when they got sick. This particular day, she had an appointment for her 2 year old because she wasn't feeling well. I was heading to the other Dr. office with another of my kid's injuries. I remember her saying she was sorry she could not go with me to support me. What we were both unaware of was that her life was about to change. Since, I have always wished I had been there to support her. One dip of a stick in her precious daughter's urine confirmed she had diabetes. What! Amazing that it was so for sure instantly. Their families life path changed that day.

Nicole is only 23 years old. She is so young, so beautiful, so full of life and love. Her feet began to bother her when she was on her beloved runs. The doctors ran a battery of tests. One called to reassure her, that at least it was not rheumatoid arthritis. Well, heavens I should hope not! Then her own doctor called her into his office. His news was made more disturbing because of the previous phone call. Her diagnosis was RA and her life would change as of that innocent doctors visit

This week Jenn's life had one of those moments. Her doctor called on the phone. She has cancer. The coarse of her life changed with that news. What is unclear is how much it changed. Since she had a hysterectomy last week, we are not sure if she HAS cancer or if she HAD cancer. The next step is 4 weeks away to determine if it is gone.

THE BEST WAY OUT IS ALWAYS THROUGH! Not that we have any choice. Each of our lives were changed in an instant. Our paths took a turn where we could never go back. But you know this journey we call life is a path. Somethings we get to direct and somethings are determined for us.

I have 4 wonderful adopted children that I would have never known if my baby maker worked. My kids in someone else's house. Impossible thought! My friend's daughter will graduate from high school this year. Her diabetes has been a pain and a blessing. She is the most beautiful, intelligent, capable young lady and diabetes played a part in molding her into who she is today. Rheumatoid arthritis is a huge challenge for my brave friend, Nicole. It has only been a year, but she is coping and growing into God's plan for her life. Jenn's news is only 4 days old. Already I am amazed by her strength in dealing with the dreaded C word. I am confident that God will use her and this disease to help others through her as he is using other survivors to comfort her.

Life is not always what we expect. What it is, is what it is. It is up to us to be there for each other even when the news seems insurmountable. These moments give us a crystal clear picture of people who love us and who are there no matter where life leads.

Friends are the family we have chosen for ourselves. Cathy gave me a ring with this inscription on it yesterday. I believe that with our support people, we can enjoy our lives where ever they lead.

In Him,
Joyful and Blessed
3-13-2010

No comments:

Post a Comment