Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Abandoned With Chicken Pox

3 little guys with chicken pox and 1 cute little girl without. This did not bode well for my trip to Palm Springs with my best friend. How could I leave my kiddos when they were covered with itchies and needed their mommy? But I did!

Ron had been working horribly long hours and hardly got to spend time with the kids. When we planned my get away, he was looking forward to hanging with the kids for a long 4 day weekend. But when our darlings got sick, I was sure I would need to stay home. After all, no one can care for my kids like me. Wrong! Ron was not only willing to take the kids in their spotted condition, he was excited to be housebound with them for the 4 days This meant all outside activities were out and it would be just Ron and the kids. Heavenly. Are you sure? Yes, a great time for them to reconnect and have fun.

So I loaded up the fridge for them and the car for me and headed to California. It was a wonderful experience for all of us. I relaxed and shopped and caught up with my friend. Ron and the kids did just fine without me. Okay, to be honest that hurt a bit. I mean, I was lead to believe that they could not survive without me. Not only did they survie, they had a marvelous time, benedryl and calamine and all.

I need to remember that weekend when I get so self important that I begin to believe that God and my kids cannot manage life without me. Want to bet? Okay, so if I had to move away for a couple years, maybe He could handle it without me. Now if I can just believe my own words. People, especially us moms, get so involved in our families lives that we forget to trust them to live life on their own.

It is a real test of faith for me to let my kids go and trust that God has them in His most capable hands. Funny, when I realize that daily I am not even a part of their lives. Oh, we talk on the phone, and visit now and then, but they are all living their own way. Of course, they do endure the routine lecture from me and then proceed to do whatever they want. This is as it should be when they are grown and have kids of their own. It is just that someone forgot to tell me that I am no longer in charge. Nor do I need to be in charge.

So once again, I will take a deep breath, turn my hands up and trust God to care for my family. It is time I just enjoy my kids and let God do the rest. His hands are capable, look what He has done for me so far.

In Him,
Joyful
3-16-2010

1 comment:

  1. wait a sec...I tell you all the time to not interfere and to let go :O) (only in love 8-)

    ReplyDelete