Monday, March 15, 2010

Enjoy Today Before It Becomes Yesterday

"Oh, wouldn't it be nice if we were older.
Then we wouldn't have to wait so long."

The words from this old song were words I used to sing when I was young. When Ron and I were dating, I couldn't wait til we were old enough to get married and live together. Heck, I even liked to think about the routine chores like paying the mortgage and going for groceries. Seems silly looking back on it now.

Seems whatever we are doing in live or whatever we are going through, we waste time anticipating the future instead of living for now. Kahil Kabran wrote the book, The Precious Present, about this. We waste our precious now on thinking about the future.
Whether we are waiting for something exciting that is going to happen or just biding our time to drag ourselves through an unpleasant time, we are not living for the today of life.

I am guilty of this on both sides right now. We are about to begin the dreaded state tests at school, my principal is coming in to do my yearly evaluation, and I am looking forward to my 1st ever woman's retreat in a couple weeks. Right now, I feel like I am living my life with a checklist mentality. Bulleting life day by day.
-Banana Young Life Club
-6th grade transition meetings
-Blah blah blah blah blah

Being thankful for my life and my health and all the other blessings in my life are being overlooked. Instead I have opted to carry my tasks like a ball and chain to be endured rather than enjoyed. Shame on me. There are such wonderful, loving people in my life. Working with the young people in Young Life and at school is a blessing, even when it is hard. A grateful heart is in order here. Time for me to get on my knees and be thankful for each and everything in my life.

Remember the movie 'Click' where Adam Sandler had the magic remote and could fast forward through unpleasant or boring things in his life. I particularly remember him clicking through getting ready in the morning. Then the remote learned what he fast forwarded and so he never had to go through getting ready again. But wait, never to enjoy another hot shower or get to change your hairstyle. That is no good!

So here I am humbly apologizing (mainly to myself) for grumbling my way through the last week or so. For anticipating and dreading the next couple weeks. For wishing I could push fast forward and be at the Young Life Women's Retreat.

In Him,
Joyful or so I should be
3-15-2010

No comments:

Post a Comment