Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Living Life With A Yes Attitude

Life is amazing when our first response is 'YES.' My nephew is a 'sure I can do that' guy and always has been. I just have to share the crazy requests this aunt has thrown at him over the years with the same response.

Years ago when he was in college in Phoenix and my 4 kids were littles, I needed to get to Arizona to be there for a friend. Unfortunately, Ron was on travel and Natalie was still on oxygen from her preemie entrance to life. No way I could travel that far safely with my brood. So I called Todd. The conversation went something like this.

me 'What are you doing this afternoon?'
Todd 'Nothing much.'
me ' Could I buy you a plane ticket and you get on a plane and drive back with me? You should be back home in about 10 hours.'
Todd 'I am on my way!'

He wasn't even in New Mexico 3 hours. To be fair, I did buy him dinner! What a wonderful trip not only did I get to be there for a friend but I had an amazing conversation with a nephew who is so willing to help.

Fast forward 15 years and his aunt called him with another absurd request. Natalie was turning 15 and we found the perfect maltipoo puppy to replace hers that died the year before. There were a couple of problems. First the puppy was in Phoenix, second the seller had another buyer so we had to act fast. So of course I called Todd.

me 'Do you have $350. in cash?'
Todd 'On a Sunday afternoon?'
me 'Yes, and could you take it to this Target parking lot, meet a guy, and buy me a puppy for Natalie? Oh yeah, and could you take care of the little darling until we can get her in a couple weeks? Wait, Mom said she can get her if you will just keep her for a few days. By the way, I love you!'
Todd 'Okay, April and I will figure this out and let you know.'

He said he felt like he was participating in a drug deal as he exchanged an envelope full of cash for our sweet Kylie. Of course they made it happen that is just who they are.  They still feel a connection to Kylie dog.  In fact, they kept her for 6 months to breed her with their teacup Maltipoo a couple of years ago. See I can say yes too when asked.

Now for my latest request and his incredible reply. My Mom is 76 and coming out this week with my 7 year old granddaughter to spend a week. I would love to drive them home, go to a friend's wedding and ride the train back home. We are starting testing on Monday so I can't take anytime off work. Although I am younger than Mom I just don't think I can drive 1300 miles in 2 days and be ready to teach again. So of course I called Todd.

What I needed was to stay at his house, borrow a car to drive 2 hours each way to the wedding, and get a ride to the train station at 4:30 AM on Sunday. I did think about renting a car in Arizona and saving him the hassle. But I asked. Being the honest person I am I did tell him there was no time to visit so basically I was simply using him. He chuckled.

Todd said I could use his truck that was for sale. He just wouldn't sell it til after that weekend. Not only did he agree to everything I needed but he came up with a generous idea. The wedding is in Page near Lake Powell and he said he has been wanting to take his kids up to see the lake. So he offered to drive me to the wedding hang out at the lake while I am at the wedding and then drive us all back to his house.  This loving man who is my nephew pointed out that this plan would give us a chance to visit on the ride. He blows me away!

So I will get to help my Mom drive, attend the wedding, visit my family, and relax on the train instead of driving all day Sunday. Todd lives a wonderful life and his willingness to say yes to life is key. So often the easy response is no thank you. But how much more we are blessed with and get to experience when we step up and say 'Okay, I can do that.'

Nike says, 'Just do it!'  Todd says, 'Sure how can I help.' When I grow up I want to be just like my nephew. Don't you?

In Him,
Joyful
3-7-12

4 comments:

  1. Todd takes after his Aunt Barb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, how much more enjoyable life would be for those who learned the kind of love " sure I can do it, help be there" and for those that are reaching with a need for help regardless of the kind of need it is....I do not have a Todd in my life....but I do have Jesus ....so many times I bend my knees in prayer, and cry out to Jesus ...and he is as your Todd, I'm there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly who Jesus is and why there is such an urgency to introduce him in the lives of others. It is not just for eternal salvation but for all those moments in life on this earth that we need to walk through situations where we shouldn't be alone. He is always there for us.

      Delete
  3. What a great guy your nephew is. Everyone needs a Todd in their life! :)

    ReplyDelete