Monday, June 4, 2012

Wedding Dress Breakfast With Tails

35 years ago I was standing in the nursery of our church trying to keep from sweating in my simple, satin wedding dress that I had help making from a dear friend. The photographer had scurried all my bride's maids and my sister, who was my matron-of honor outside for pictures. I stood there not daring to sit and wrinkle myself pouting because the bride is supposed to be the center of attention. Then I realized it was a God moment for me to reflect and pray about how fortunate I was to be marrying the man I loved. At 21 we were so happy to be in love, to be almost through with college, to have all our family and friends to celebrate with us, to be Christ-centered in our relationship.

Ron and I enjoyed every moment of that day. We had the yellow and white daisies, the simplicity of the cake was just our taste, and the outdoor reception at his parent's house was perfection. People were happy and well fed and thrilled for us.

 Later as we left for our hotel, we wore our wedding clothes instead of changing. There were those at the drugstore where I worked who couldn't attend the wedding. I promised we would stop by in our wedding garb to share with them. Looking back we realized some bystanders may have had a little chuckle thinking we were stopping off for emergency wedding night supplies. We were not thinking about appearances just enjoying the day.

Unfortunately, our generous decision to swing by in our wedding outfits kind of complicated life later. You see, we didn't think to pack a bag to take with us to the hotel. So when we woke up the next morning there was nothing to put on to go to breakfast but a somewhat crumpled wedding dress and a chocolate brown tux. We quickly decided it was memory making and got dressed and headed downstairs. It was fun watching others watching us. Needless to say, we got our breakfast on the house and had a good giggle.

Here I am writing 35 years later about our day and the dress adventure still makes me smile. Hey, we got more use out of our finery than most bride and grooms. Hope this rekindles fond memories of your special day.

1 Corinthians 16-14 Do everything in love.    Short, simple verse to strive to live by.

In Him,
Joyful
6-4-12

5 comments:

  1. I remember your wedding day well! It was the best! Congratulations on 35 years!
    Love to you both, Susi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you...I will be married 13 years in July. This made me smile and laugh...such a precious post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful story! I wish I had known you then!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely post - Congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete