Wednesday, October 31, 2012

5 Minutes A Room: My Housecleaning Solution

I used to put a paper in a hat with the name of each room and then let them take turns pulling one out. We called it 5 minutes a room. We would have everything ready; brooms, mops, dusters, cleaning solutions,  then work for 5 minutes each room blasting our favorite tunes. All of us would all be in the same room, even in the bathroom, laughing, cleaning and bumping into each other. Good times! I wonder if my kids remember it as fondly as I do?

This idea turned a boring, tedious chore list into a joyful noise of sped-up cleaning. So here is the great thing, we had 10 rooms in our house and with 5 minutes a room  our house was spotless in under an hour. The first few times we tried it I was not sold. It didn't seem like we needed to mop the floors or clean the mirrors daily in the bathroom. But a friend reminded me that we also had drawers, cupboards, and a medicine cabinet in that bathroom. So we actually kept our house deep cleaned wit5 minutes a room.

 It amazed me how my kiddos took pride in keeping the house clean and how they enjoyed getting to draw which room we cleaned when. Also, it showed me that I didn't have to be 'in charge' of everything for it to get done. Hope this idea is beneficial for you and your little ones.

In Him,
Joyful
10-31-12

2 comments:

  1. What an ingenious concept! What most people scorn about house cleaning is that it takes a lot of time to finish. And unfortunately, time is a luxury that’s not enjoyed by many. Five minutes a room is enough to clean a whole house satisfactorily without spending a lot of time. And what’s more, the name is like a game that kids can enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 minutes a room? Yes, it’s fast cleaning, but isn’t that way too fast? I think 5 minutes is enough for a room that’s not so dirty. I guess the best tip to make cleaning a lot faster and a much lighter activity is to exert a conscious effort to be responsible enough to keep everything in order and clean.

    ReplyDelete