Thursday, November 12, 2015

Shortening Days


November and December hold opportunities to get together with family and friends. Thanksgiving and the Christmas holidays both are times we gather to eat, share memories and spend precious time with loved ones. At the same time, it is the countdown to the Winter Solstice which means the shortest daylight of the year. I must admit that I am affected by the darker days of fall. I sort of hold my breath to get to 12-21 when the light begins to expand each day.

I was born and raised in Arizona the land of sunshine and warmth. When Ron and I were in northern California, we both had a hard time with the gloomy days of drizzling rain. It is beyond my comprehension how some live far north in Alaska with the dark, cold days of Winter. Their reward is full sunlight in the summer. But I would have a difficult time getting through to the other season.

It is easy for me to get dark at this time of year matching the sky outside. I have to work even harder at looking at all the blessings in my life. All our kids might be home for Christmas this year. It could really happen. We haven't had all the kids together since Ryan died. This will be the best gift Ron and I could receive. If it doesn't come together I will need to be okay with it. There will come a time when we can have them together all under one roof.

My goal for the next 6 weeks is to remember the book  The Precious Present and embrace each  and every moment. I tend to live in anticipation of things to come and miss out on the moments that are now. Once again, I am challenging myself to reach out to friends and fill my days with others. As the days shorten it is up to me to keep shining even in the darkness. Focusing on my haves not my have nots.

In Him,
Joyful
11-12-15

No comments:

Post a Comment