Friday, November 13, 2015

Incredible Gathering

Yesterday didn't go as planned. When I woke up with a chest cold and sore throat my choice was to stay home or go to school. I chose to go to school. One student is on a trip so it felt like a 'light' day ahead. After all, I would feel miserable at home or at school so why not just get up and go?

The day was unfolding quietly when it took a dramatic turn. Too many people I love have lost young loved ones to suicide and drug overdoses. It looked like it was happening again. A young friend got a call from her mom that her step brother had overdosed and died. A couple hours later we got word that this was not true. In the meantime, her pain and despair were real. She had already lost a brother to suicide and now was facing this unbearable heartache again. Unfathomable!

We left school and went to pick up her sister. People covered my students for me. Grief is overwhelming and irreversible. Their cries that if only it was all a mistake, broke me. Dead is dead. You can't come back from that. But this day the information of her brother's death was wrong. How could that be? I have no idea. Relieve flooded our living room as those of us gathered to support these two sisters realized that their brother lived. Nicole answered her phone and he was on the other end of the line. Crazy, unbelievable  joy and confusion melted her to the floor.

Gathering with Ron and other prayer warriors was reminiscent of gathering when our own Ryan died. Yesterday was a miracle and a gift. Knowing that others rally immediately to embrace us with His love and theirs is humbling. We called and they dropped what they were doing and came.

John 13:34 So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other.


My heart was full as I sat with a hot cup of tea after everyone left. Being alone in the quiet of the moment I was grateful that even when days turn upside down we don't have to be alone. What an incredible day it turned out to be.

In Him,
Joyful
11-13-15

No comments:

Post a Comment