Wednesday, January 13, 2016

One Compassionate Soul Among A Crowd Of Indifference

Yesterday was a long, frustrating day. There were people who treated us like we were invisible. That was hard. It is also hard to understand. Common kindness is something that I just come to expect from others. I guess I should be thankful that I live in a place where people treat each other with respect. Eight hours of discomfort and frustration ended with one compassionate soul.

Officer Lucero of the Cibola County Detention Center took it upon herself to get the answers others were too lazy to get for us. She told us at almost 9 pm that we should go home and come back in the morning. We had been waiting since 1:30 pm with assurances that it would only be a few more minutes. No food, no drinks, cold metal chairs in a very cold waiting room.

To emphasize her concern for others, she called me this morning and had personally gone over to the court to get the release papers. She is going into a training at 8 so she made sure she followed through before she left. That is how humans are supposed to treat each other. How did this institution breed such an attitude of disregard for others? What can this Warden do to turn this around?

I felt fortunate that as we were leaving so was Warden Dodd. Trust me, he got an earful from all three of us cold, tired ladies. Today I will do my best to focus on my time with my son and the one officer who stood out with her heart for others.

In Him,
Joyful
1-13-16

1 comment:

  1. Joyful, walking and praying with your family today. Keep looking up.

    ReplyDelete