Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Sleeping, A Skill From My Past

"She couldn't remember the last time she'd slept so deeply; it felt like a skill from her past she'd assumed she'd lost forever, like turning a cartwheel."  Liane Moriarty~The Husband Secret

I can so relate. Insomnia is a part of my life now. It is not clear to me if my non-sleeping nights began because Ryan died or if it is just getting older that changed me. Either way I agree with this quote that sleeping through the night feels like a skill I have lost.

Sleep studies, clap machines, melatonin, Benadryl , staying up late heck I have even tried exercise  but my internal alarm insists I get up between 4 and 4:30am. Doesn't my body realize that I don't have kiddos to care for, a job that starts this early, or vacuuming to do?

My early rise and lack of sleep used to drive me nuts. Now I embrace it and get up to coffee, Facebook, Bible study and blogging. If you can't change it might as well enjoy it. The funny thing is that now if I occasionally sleep past 5am I feel cheated of my time in my chair doing my thing. I'm up therefore I write. Most days I even make a little sense.

It is clear I will never turn another cartwheel. I learned that lesson the hard way a few years back. But  after retirement I plan to take more naps to make up for my lack of sleeping skills. Adjusting to life is always a good idea.

In Him,
Joyful
3-9-16

No comments:

Post a Comment