Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Dr. Jim, Yes I Am 3 Days Older!

You know you have the right doctor when you have to get out the Kleenex box at least once during your physical. No, he wasn't scolding me for my pudge. After 20 years of being his patient, teaching with his wife, and raising our kids in the same community, we have shared each other's lives. Our boys wrestled together. Dr. Jim came up to check on Tanner when he fell 80 feet off the cliff just to check for himself that Ron and I were okay too. When we lost our son, Ryan, to suicide Jim called us and told us to send someone to pick up a RX for anxiety. He just knew what we needed. When Ron had an appointment that was right after I got misdiagnosed with macular degeneration Jim assured him I was way too young and diagnosed it as droozen. He was right even though I wasn't even in his office.

The first time I went to see him was just over 20 years ago. I know this for a fact because the first thing he ever said to me was, "You will be 40 three days before me." Well we both turned 60 this year. Our kids are all grown and starting families of their own. Along with going over health concerns we share how our families are doing. There have been tears in most of my physicals over the loss of my son or the concern for my family. Jim listens and hands me the Kleenex. After years of avoiding it I was ready this year to try something for depression. Life is hard. I find myself more and more avoiding social situations. There is a trust that has built over two decades and he assures me I can get back to who I was. He called it getting back to my base. This first step was hard for me and it won't be the last. We will get together more often now to make sure dosage and drugs are the right fit. One thing I know is this man I trust. Not just as my doctor but as a caring friend. I came out of his office after an hour or more had passed with a new hope that I can go back to a better place. There's hope too that he will find the answer to my old, creaky knee. Glad Ron and I are growing old with Dr. Jim leading the way. Okay, I know. I am leading~by 3 days. Geesh!

No comments:

Post a Comment