Thursday, December 16, 2010

Simple Heart Shaped Stone

A heart shaped stone that washed up on the beach with several holes in it, yet miraculously still in tact, was the gift my sweet daughter found and presented to me, when she returned from Santa Barbara. Pretty ironic, that it was found in Santa Barbara.

This simple heart rock shares a life lesson for all of us. Though life can beat us up at times and even place permanent scars on our hearts, we are able to keep it together. Like this seemingly, insignificant rock that doesn't even cover the palm of my hand, we are made to survive the tides of our lives.

For decades, my children have found me a marvelous array of heart rocks. Never have I seen one so strong with such obvious battle wounds. Today, this year, this rock seems to be a perfect reflection of my own torn but functioning heart. Life has put my middle age heart through more aches and breaks than I care to list, but there is also a lasting hope present.

I know where my perseverence comes from; faith, family, and friends. With the love and support of these, my heart may get pounded in the surf but I can hold together to continue and provide hope for others. Life doesn't promise to be easy for any of us, but how we weather through is what shows who we are.

In Him,
Joyful
12-16-2010

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful thoughts and so true. What a great way to start a morning of celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barb, this is absolutely perfection. Wouldn't change a word. It's rich, very rich with perfect word choices: surf, weather, etc. I LOVE <3 this! Please go for it! This is publishable!!!!!!!! --erika untch

    ReplyDelete