Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Not What We Deserve

 I am really grateful that I don't get what I deserve. Oh, paychecks are not always what we think we deserve. At times, jealousy of others leads me to believe I am not getting what I deserve. But the truth is I am lucky that I don't get what I deserve. 
If each of us had to pay for every crime, sin, mistake, harsh thought, it would not be good for us. I do make mistakes that are just that mistakes. But I also make poor decisions and bad choices. We don't get punished for mistakes or missteps but could and possibly should have consequences for poor choices we make knowingly.    
This has been a tough week for our family. Whoever said bad things come in 3s must have blessed us with a double dose.  Is it a time to worry and fret and wring our hands? Believe me I have wallowed in those plenty this week. But then I got tapped on the shoulder and began to pray. Prayers for resolution, hope, strength, and wisdom are so powerful. Sometimes it takes a week like this one to bring us to our knees. Ron and I have started praying together again. When did we even stop? We let life gets in the way of even this most beneficial routine.   
Things will smooth out. Perhaps some consequences and outcomes will not be what we pray for. But I pray that we each come out with more praying and less pity parties. Hoping that we can be thankful that we don't get what we deserve but are loved regardless of what we deserve.
Psalm 103: 8-12
The Lord shows mercy and is kind.
    He does not become angry quickly, and he has great love.
He will not always accuse us,
    and he will not be angry forever.
10 He has not punished us as our sins should be punished;
    he has not repaid us for the evil we have done.
11 As high as the sky is above the earth,
    so great is his love for those who respect him.
12 He has taken our sins away from us
    as far as the east is from west.
13 

In Him,
Joyful
5-27-14

No comments:

Post a Comment