Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Two Ears and One Mouth By Design

1 James:19 My dear brothers and sisters, always be willing to listen and slow to speak. Do not become angry easily.


In my Blue Jean Bible Study, Kay Daigle encouraged us to draw a picture of God's hand over our mouth. I need this. Not necessarily God's hand but my hand over my mouth. God gives us free will so it is not His hand but mine that needs to be over my mouth.

We tell kids that they have two ears and only one mouth so they should listen twice as much as we speak. That is a good plan for me even at 59 years old. Too often I say things I have to apologize for later. 

My silence can have more impact than my ranting. Too often I try to bully others into seeing things my way. As if I have all the answers. Begging, bullying are both ineffective tools to get others to do what I want. How much more influence would I have with others if I listened, prayed, and encouraged them by my actions? 

If I truly am going to live a JOYFUL life I need to listen more than I speak. JOY Jesus~Others~then Yourself. I need to not only listen to Others but to Jesus through His word and my prayer life. Even with Him I can get so caught up in telling Him how I think things should work out that I don't give the opportunity for His will to sink into my heart. 

Today I am going to do my best to use my ears and let my mouth have a rest.

In Him,
Joyful
7-14-15



No comments:

Post a Comment