Thursday, October 15, 2015

Choose Joy Each and Everyday.

What is the difference between happiness and joy? Happiness is a fleeting emotion based on external circumstances. But true joy is different. It is something that comes from within. It’s a deep abiding peace and sense of contentment and strength that is due to something internal.
 Lori Schweers

It is up to us to choose joy.  Our attitude is up to us. It is possible to have joy without being happy about our circumstances. We need to be purposeful in our thoughts and heart about our situation. 
Lately, I have been getting up at 5am to do a Bible Study and blog. It has been powerful in shaping my days. Last week I felt hurt and insulted. I threw quite a pity party and decided I deserved to sleep in. Guess who suffered from my choice to walk away from my peaceful moments? My belief that I deserved to reward myself by skipping the very act that brought me joy was so off. How often do I sabotage my own joy by my actions? 

Choosing joy has to be intentional. Living life in a way that we are reflecting, connecting and reaching out to Jesus and Others is how we take care of ourselves (Yourself)

I know how to ground myself yet when stress comes I turn quickly from what feeds my joy. Silly, silly me. Natalie told me when she returned from Young Life camp in middle school that she wished she could be at camp always. Life at home got busy and she lost focus on Jesus. How clear her thinking was at such a young age. The greatest struggle we have is focusing on what brings us joy. It really is a choice that takes a commitment each and everyday.

In Him,
Joyful
10-15-15



1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! I was looking for the text for the lecture I did at my church years ago and came across MY quote on your blog! I am so grateful you found the words meaningful. I probably wrote that more than 10 years ago. I feel so blessed that God was able to use these words to bless you. Grace & Peace to you. Lori Schweers

    ReplyDelete