Saturday, October 10, 2015

Forced to Compare

Perception is the function of contrast.


What exactly does that mean? That we sometimes need to contrast situations to be able to really perceive how they are. This can be a good or bad thing. Comparison can lead to jealousy, hard feelings, hopelessness or a feeling of superiority. It really depends on our hearts and why we are comparing. 

Yesterday, I reluctantly went to Santa Fe to look at other behavior programs. I was asked to go in a most hurtful way. My boss told me they have a really strong program and I should go see how they are running things. I not only took this as an insult to my program but asked what adjective she would use to describe the program I run. Bold words for me. Disappointing response from her. 

I went to 2 different schools and saw 2 very different programs. One had a simple approach with a brand new teacher. Simple is me being kind. It had no imagination, innovation just chairs and desks and textbooks. The other had a teacher whose heart is behavior kids like mine. He has been doing this for 18 years and I so enjoyed speaking with him. Each were open to my visit and sharing ideas. 

What I learned from my forced comparison is that the program I work in deserves a string of positive adjectives. We are doing so many things right for our students from a sensory friendly room to point systems to communicating with families. I walked out too arrogant because I felt our program is far superior. Not a good response but I was angry and hurt by an administrator who I call a friend. Perhaps I misread her reason for wanting me to visit other programs. I took it as a slap in the face maybe she meant it as a way to see how terrific we are doing. We need to talk.

I texted her that she should go see these programs herself. After all, perception is the function of contrast. Maybe then when someone calls and asks about our program, her adjectives will be as outstanding as the program itself.

In Him,
Joyful
10-10-15

No comments:

Post a Comment