Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Letting Go to Grab On ~ American Gladiator Courage

Joshua 1:9 NIV         
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for I will be with you wherever you go.”

Sometimes it is comfortable and easy to stay in a circumstance that is just not the right fit. Often we convince ourselves that this is where we belong even when our heart and head keep reminding us that there should be something more. It takes courage to make a change. There is a comfort in the familiar. So we do everything in our power to convince ourselves that this is God's plan. After all, how can we go against God's plan?

John 10:10
10  I have come that they may have life, and have it to the fullest.

Jesus doesn't want us to settle. He doesn't want us to have lukewarm. His plan is for us to have life overflowing. Think of Him as who He is your Father. A father's heart is for his child to have joy, love, success, a better life than he can imagine. It takes courage, perseverance, and faith to step out. To reach out toward an uncertain change you have to let go of one rope to grap onto another. American Gladiator comes to mind. No contestant could get across the course without trusting that one hand can hold her as she must let go with the other hands grasp. 

Missed opportunities happen when we are too timid to let go and lean in to something new. Of course there are times we smack ourselves for letting go of something good and reaching for the wrong thing. That is when we must have the courage to admit our misstep and look for the next opportunity. 

This year I struggled with my decision to retire for months then took the leap. I had moments of doubt where I almost turned back before it was too late. My path forward seemed crystal clear and it was totally wrong for me. Thankfully, I had others tell me to let go and move on. It was so difficult because I felt like a quitter who was letting people down. Moving on meant searching for a new direction and bravely trying again. Now I have a full time job (when I wanted part time) that is flexible and perfect for me. 

There is someone precious in my life who has been staying put convincing herself that this circumstance is God's plan for her. It may be. But her words concern me. Is she settling because it is safe? Because she is afraid of disappointing others? Because she wants it to be a perfect fit? Sometimes there is no way for something new to come to us until we are willing to let go of our mis~fits. Prayer can clear things up.


Phillipians 4:6,7
Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

Letting go, reaching out~ not for the faint hearted but can bring us to a life overflowing.

In Him,
Joyful
10-12-16


No comments:

Post a Comment