Monday, December 23, 2019

Can There be Givers Without Gatherers?

Gatherers and givers or is there a perfect balance in between. Some of us are collectors and some of us are not. I know when people look around my house they see Joy signs, madonna’s and hearts in every nook and cranny. Having collections that we love makes it simpler for those who give us gifts. I would much rather have a heart rock or a choose joy spoon than an expensive piece of jewelry. When I look around my daughter-in-love’s home there are not a lot of collections. She is a minimalist. Her mom says that she never wants to be at one of her daughter’s garage sales. Many things she has received as gifts are on sale to find a place in someone else’s home.  The truth is I am jealous of her minimalist ways. Her home is much less cluttered than mine.

As Christmas approaches this year I am aware of the stuff I give and how it fits into the space of those I am purchasing for. The truth is we can only have so much stuff. Even our collections get a bit overwhelming at times. One of the most fun things Jenn and I do in December is find ways to give unexpectedly to strangers. Whether it is paying for the person’s order behind us in the drive thru or handing out jingle bell necklaces to someone walking on the sidewalk. It is fun to see the surprise in their eyes when you gift them with even a 50 cent item.

In order for there to be givers there must be gatherers. Hmmmm. Or really good garage sales. Wait. Those purchasing at garage sales are gathering and perhaps with plans to gift it in the end.

In Him,
Joyful
12=23-19

No comments:

Post a Comment