Saturday, September 25, 2021

Believe in the Next

 Believe for the next


 Between our past and our promise is our here and now.........embrace all three

  I have shared before how Ronnie B. and I spent years in separate homes. Even when those around us counseled us to end it, we remained confident that we could get through the separated season and find our way back to the love we continued to share. I can tell you that our love story is my most favorite. Walking through the loneliest season grew our relationship. My advice is to pray together hand in hand. At first, it may feel that you are using prayer to air your grievances because it is a safe place. That is true. You are. But allowing Jesus to be in the center of our conflict opened both our hearts to each other. Sometimes answered prayers come in a few moments, sometimes it takes years. Continue to believe that each step leads to the next.

My sister, Teri, and I always fought for our Mom's attention. Mom was both of our best friend so we had little need to befriend each other. When my Mom started showing signs of a neurological condition that robbed her of her independence but not her humor, Teri and I took turns caring for Mom in our homes. Our time spent with Mom was precious and we both competed for having her in our homes. I moved into Teri's home when Mom was near the end of life and we spent the summer reminiscing, laughing, eating fudge and rice krispy treats, and endlessly watching Golden Girls. When I lost my sister to Covid last November, only a year and a half after saying goodbye to Mom, I appreciated even more our time together that summer. Our focus was on Mom and we just hung out together cherishing our togetherness. What a gift that time together was to all of us. Next I am more aware of embracing time with others over tasks that need completed.

Ronnie B. and I seem to always be on the go this past couple of years. We spend more time in our RV bed than the one at our home. During the pandemic we have traveled in our rolling quarantine cocoon more than ever. Clinging to one another at sixty-five years young and recognizing that tomorrow is not promised. Teri's death brought into focus the fact that one of us will be missing the other at some point in life. Next year we celebrate forty-five years of life together. That  seems like a lifetime because it is. We started dating at seventeen and married at twenty-one. The reality of more time together behind us than in front of us has us clinging to each other here and now. We choose to choose time hand in hand as our next chapters unfold. 

Believing in the next is not believing in a smooth path but knowing that whatever life holds, we don't have to walk it alone. Our loved ones are beside us and our faith means even when a person can't be reached, Jesus is a whisper away to have a conversation and to assure us we are never alone.

In Him,

Joyful

9-25-21

No comments:

Post a Comment