Saturday, March 5, 2022

Just Be Still~I Need More Practice


I sat on our deck with my eyes closed yesterday just enjoying the warmth of the sun. In fact it was so healing that I thought about putting on my bathing suit to receive more rays on my skin. What I did do was change into a sleeveless nightgown and just receive the warmth. No, I didn't think of receiving the sunshine completely unclothed. There is a park behind my house after all. But sitting there just felt incredible. Be still and know that I am God........I know this verse. Heck, I have it on my wall. But do I really take time to be still? Be still without input from outside sources? Youtube Bible studies, worship music, reaching out to loved ones are all time well spent. But I rarely turn off all and just be still. The fifteen minutes I sat there basking in the sun were so healing. The warmth and closeness of the embrace lasted the rest of the day. Too often even in prayer I am doing all the talking. To be still and listen. To be still and receive. A free gift that I don't grab a hold of and enjoy. 

Today the chairs on my deck are white with a dusting of snow. The sun is obscured by clouds. I began my day like most days. Potty, coffee, Bible study and blogging. What I hope is to just close my eyes and be still for a few minutes. There won't be sun on my skin but the sun was not the point. I used to turn off everything in my special ed classroom and have my kids lay on the floor with their eyes shut. No input was the goal. At first, there was lots of giggling and restlessness. But day after day they got used to the quiet of just being still. It became a powerful reset to our day. Behaviors began to improve. They eventually asked for more time in the dark. 


This world of ours has so much coming at us. Much of it is a blessing. But like saying yes to all the good causes in our lives, we have to learn when to say no. Your bank account can't sustain giving to every worthy cause. Your time has to be allotted even when the need is great. To be still is a powerful reset. To be still is a powerful time to refill. I didn't sit in the sun for hours. No I didn't come away with a sunburn or a tan. But those few minutes reset my whole day. Being still is a free gift that each of us needs to tap into. Turn off, unplug, set down and just be still. I am going to try to make this a part of my morning routine. Right after my first cup of coffee of course so I will be still but also awake.

In Him,

Joyful

3-5-22

No comments:

Post a Comment