Monday, May 16, 2022

Include Me and I will Include You

There are things in each of our lives that humble us and just overwhelm us. When others honor us and let us know just how much we matter in their lives. Not by speaking glowing compliments but in subtle ways that they don’t even recognize how significant it is. Connections are made when we let others in and don’t put our best foot forward. Sharing what hides under the rugs and in the junk drawers of life is what helps us truly know one another. These people are our tribes when included in.

When my kids were small,Julie and I would spend a couple hours cleaning our houses. We decided to go to each other’s homes and work together. This was fantastic since we could visit as we cleaned and it is always more fun to clean someone else’s house than your own. There were funny stories of ‘where did I find underwear today.’ We trusted each other to be vulnerable in our messiness. There may have been a few jugs of Diet Coke involved.

Yesterday Mayank, our grad student from India roommate, asked me to put eye drops in his eyes. What a gift that he feels comfortable enough to be vulnerable with me. That shows just how close we have become. Can I just say that I did him that favor but he showed me that we have become family.

Tomorrow Ronnie B. and I take off in our rolling casita to Utah for Nicole and Chris’ wedding. What a gift that they asked us to walk in with their grandparents. Nicole and Jess have been family since they were students at  Mountain Elementary where I taught. These girls become ladies include us in their lives in so many ways. How lucky I am to have them in my life. 

The end of June, my Angelica will welcome her first born and has asked me to be present at his birth. What an honor that my girl would allow me to share such a beautiful moment with her and Abi.

Whether it is large or small it means so much to be included in the lives of others. It shows us that our connections are real and that is what life is all about. Heck, it thrills me when I get to write a recommendation for someone. After all they only need a handful and I get to be one of them. 

What we can do is include others in our lives. It is better to reach out and ask for help than to muscle through and do it on our own. People want to help. Others feel connected when we think of them as someone we can ask for help. Being chosen is being loved. So next time your toilet is clogged……call me.

 I will be right over.

In Him,
Joyful
5-16-22

No comments:

Post a Comment