Sunday, January 1, 2023

I Have Your Back When You Ask Me


 I just have so much to say about this photo even in its blurry splendor. This youngster is being safe like she was taught by an adult in her life. Her recognition of the danger of being so high up and leaning over prompts her to hold onto herself so she doesn’t fall. Boy does she have a tight grip on that shirt. She is taking safety seriously. No chance she is going to let herself go. I am sure her parent who snapped this picture would have jumped in to save her if she began to fall. But her truth was that she was taking care of herself. Adorable!

Each of us needs to be safe in our own situations. Thankfully, we have others to cushion us from falls. But we must also hang onto ourselves and keep us safe. There are times we put ourselves in unsafe situations and then get overcome with fear. Sometimes it is life threatening but more often it is just inconvenient or time consuming. I recall a time I got our rv stuck in a much too small parking lot and had no way to get out. My go to was to have Ronnie B figure out and get us out of that tight spot. But he told me that I got us into it and was perfectly capable of getting us out. I just wanted to cry. It was not what I wanted to do it myself. But after I got the rv back on the road, I had a sense of accomplishment not defeat. Sometimes we need to grab ourselves and see how resourceful we can be. 

Looking at this picture makes me wonder what she was looking at that made her take the risk to lean out over the edge. It would also be interesting to know what the adult taking the picture was saying to her. Were they assuring her, cautioning her, or just being silent and letting her figure it out. Too often I don’t rest in the silence but try to grab my micromanaging wand and give unwelcome advice. Even my grown kids have to put up with my putting in my unwanted two cents. 

This sweet picture touched me in more ways than one. The courage this youngster had that she could keep herself safe. The curiosity that she had to even want to lean out makes me wonder what she heart that made her also need to see. A friend of Ron’s leaned out too far to get the perfect picture and died when he fell off the cliff. His camera was recovered and shared his last shots that were so sought after. Even in the sadness, his family shared those precious pics with all of us at his service. 

The balance of taking risks and being safe is key to surviving. One of the best practices is to not venture alone. Susi went on a simple crosscountry skiing adventure for what was meant to be a couple hours. Her companion fell and broke her leg. Thankfully, Susi was able to not only ski out for help but remember right where her friend was laying in pain in the snow. Others with us are not necessarily to get us out of a jam but to be a support behind us when it becomes necessary. 

My hope in this new year is to remain available for when I am needed but not to interfere when others need to grace their own back. Asked for advice not unwanted advice is my goal. Old habits die hard and this is one I have practiced far too long. 

In Him,

Joyful

1-1-23

No comments:

Post a Comment