Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Weekend Of Togetherness

2 years ago I went to my first women's retreat with some delightful women from my family. This weekend my daughter, mother, sister and 2 dear friends are joining me for my second women's retreat. I know it will be a Christ-centered weekend of healing and sharing for all of us. You see a week after the retreat 2 years ago was when we lost our Ryan to suicide.

It may seem too raw to go back for this same retreat after such a loss but the truth is that weekend with my family strengthened me for what was to come shortly after. This is a Young Life retreat and the entire weekend was spent in laughter, prayer, and bonding with Christ and each other. Being so focused on Christ didn't divert the pain but it helped us remember that He is our strength and we were able to stay in His arms through our tragedy.

Last time, my daughter, Natalie, and I got prices for our cabin. We just bought random, silly items from a dime store and presented them as grand gestures throughout the weekend for insignificant acts. I wish I could recall all the clever ways we added these trinkets to make the experience even more memorable. So today, I am off to find other valuable prizes to bestow on those who are joining us for what will be a blessed weekend.

2 years ago I had them all convinced they had to bring a pair of blue shoes. This was something I made up of course. When they all got aggravated and couldn't find blue shoes, I ended up buying cheap, plastic, gardening clogs for everyone. Let's just say they were not amused when they found out I had made it up. Bad attempt at humor on my part has taught me to forego the request for random items this year.

The 8 hour drive to get there will be just as filled with sharing and love as the retreat itself. I know there will be tears and laughter as we all connect on how life has moved us forward these last few months. Letting Christ be our stretcher that we lay our lives on is something we all share. My 2 friends have each been through a divorce and were just as heartbroken to lose Ryan as we were. Life does not promise to be easy or happy all the time. What makes even the hard times bearable are our faith, family and friends that never let us go through life alone.

Praying that as we look back over the last 2 years and look forward to the next, we can all reflect on the blessings as well as the losses. Knowing that we have held hands and supported each other through prayer and love is how we not only survive but thrive in life. So I am thrilled about this weekend of fellowship and know God will remind each of us that He is present in our lives in all ways.

In Him,
Joyful
3-21-12

2 comments:

  1. I will be praying for all of you this weekend. I know that you are going to have an amazing time!
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm certain this trip will be a bittersweet trip. I went on a women's retreat when I still lived in Ohio; not yet affiliated myself with a church here in NC-but I had such a super time. Isn't it wonderful to have that time with others who have similar beliefs and center on the Lord?
    Allow the peace and joy and healing to wash over you!

    ReplyDelete