Friday, August 4, 2017

Parents and Teachers Partnering~ Lead to Student Success.

I have been reflecting on what makes a student successful and motivated in school. School is about to begin all across our country. Parents are out buying the cutest clothes, popular backpacks, and all those school supplies. What matters most is not what parents buy but the investment of time and attention they give to their kiddos education. What I wanted from parents as a retired educator was simple. These contribute more to a students success than even the most reliable mechanical pencils.

~Communicate and partner with me on a regular basis.
         Find out what your child's teachers preferred way of communicating in and then check in at            least once a month. I prefer once a month texts to just check in.
~Spend the time reviewing homework.
         Just giving them a spot and time to do homework is not enough. Chat about it.
~Every assignment turned in on time and completed is more important than As and Bs.
         Once they get behind there is no catching up. More assignments are coming.
~Be present. Come into my classroom and see what we are doing.
         Just assuming you know what is happening is not cool. Come and bring your lunch.
~On time and present unless there is barf involved.
         Kids feel connected when they are in school regularly and on time. Tone of day is set early.
~Speak with me about concerns.
          Going to the principal should be for when we can't solve an issue. Badmouthing a teacher is destructive not productive. Rarely kids do need to be moved but save that for the extremes.
~I don't need Avon or jewelry gifts.
           Teachers spend so much of their own money in their classrooms. A gift card to a teacher store or Office Max is much preferred. Although we do love our Starbucks cards too.
~Let my principal or superintendent know if I am succeeding.
           Write an email or letter. If you call it stops there. An email can go in my file and matters more.
~Realize I have a life outside school.
           You are not aware of the struggles I go through because I don't bring them into my class. If I am absent more one semester know there is probably a reason for it. Don't assume I am giving up or just don't care. My 24 year old son committed suicide while I was teaching. I only took 2 weeks off. I hated being away from my kids at school and came back as soon as I could without burdening them with my pain. Most families never knew why I was out.
~Know that I teach because I love teaching your children.
           If you ask a plumber why he is a plumber he will say for the money. No plumber says he does it because he likes to see shit flow freely through the pipes. If you ask a teacher why she teaches her answer will be the kids. The pay is sufficient not stellar. Summers off is nice but most of us are planning how to improve for the next year and taking classes during the summer.
~Partnering with you is the best way to help your child succeed so it is worth repeating.
           Don't only contact me when there is a problem. Keep in touch even when things are running smoothly. It will help them continue on that good path.
~We are not enemies.
          It is as hard for me to call and tell you about a problem as it is for you to hear it. Let's work to solve issues together.

      I feel so blessed to have been able to impact students over several decades. My heart swells when. I see adults succeeding who sat in my class. As a special education teacher, I was lucky enough to have students for several years. What wonderful relationships we developed. Being a teacher was something I wanted to be since first grade. Looking back being a teacher was even more wonderful than I could have imagined. Thank you parents for trusting me with your most valued gifts.

In Him,
Joyful
8-4-17

No comments:

Post a Comment