Monday, July 31, 2017

Mud Deep Towing Adventure

What a crazy evening with a big adventure. Ron has been remodeling an old 1977, 19 foot motor home. He has worked tirelessly on this project. Yesterday after completing the interior and roof, he just couldn't get the darn thing started. It seemed to be an electrical problem so he put in a new distributor and tried everything he could think of without success. So the next option was to tow it over to our friend's auto shop. By this time it was beginning to get dark. We also had his truck, his Blazer, and our 1975 camper van behind it. This sounds like a simple shuffle of cars and away we go. Not so easy. You see our monsoon season has begun and it had poured several inches of rain in. The last few days. So we were knee deep in mud getting the vehicles moved.

We started trying to pull it with me in the back steering and Ron in the camper van. Soon we realized two wheel drive was never going to work. It was fun to watch the camper spinning and gyrating all over but we weren't making much forward progress. So we switched to the four wheel drive Blazer and away we go! It then became clear that I was not strong enough to turn the steering wheel when I almost went up our neighbors driveway across the street rather than down the street to the shop. Seems you have to have power to have power steering and our lack of power was why we were towing it in the first place.

After we switched places and Ron's assurance that I was capable of this, we were off. We both had our cell phones on speaker so we could talk to each other the whole way across town. This wasn't a time for chit chat but to point out the obvious when we were slowing down for a red light or to make a turn. Our top speed was 16 and our turning speed was 5 mph. Luckily,  there wasn't much traffic on this now dark Sunday night and no cops found our activities suspicious enough to pull us over.

I told Ron I felt like my Gramma Peabody. She was always helping my grandfather with big adventures like this. Memories of her kept a smile on my face as I inched my way through the streets of our town. Now I know I can tow an RV. Who would have believed it. I wonder what other hidden talents I have just waiting for the opportunity to surface.

We have a secret plan to give this vintage RV to Natalie and Nate in San Diego.  They have a tribe of friends who were excited about the possibility of the camper van but the RV allows them more room to all camp together. The added bonus is when Ron and I are visiting them we won't have to pay for a hotel. They are all hipster artist types so I am sure this motorhome will get more colorful in the years to come. Who knows it may even become and AirBNB in the heart of San Diego. Either way I am excited and so glad we were able to tow it without too many problems. A side yard full of mud ruts will just remind us of our adventure.

Shhhhhhhh, don't let Natalie know our plan. We didn''t want to tell her in case we couldn't get it running.  There is also a plan brewing for the camper van but it is too soon to tell about that.  I trust all of you to keep our little secrets.

In Him,
Joyful
7-31-17

No comments:

Post a Comment