Monday, March 16, 2020

21/90 Can Start With Two Weeks

Today I am recognizing that this two weeks of home bound can be a gift or a curse. So just like Santa I am making a list and checking it twice. Things I haven’t accomplished when I have so many excuses not to complete. But the first list I am making is of others. People who are also inside on this bright, sunshine filled day. My phone habit of yesteryear has faded into a quick text here and there rather than sitting down with my coffee and really chatting with a loved one. Yesterday I began with a few family members and had the most eye opening talk with my favorite aunts who are sequestered in Arizona’s sunshine. So my list begins but I will also be mindful of those who don’t want to talk like my Jenny who is just across the street but prefers to FaceTime. I will absolutely be FT buddies with my little Felix. He is not going to be allowed to forget his Noni’s face.

The next list I am working on is once and for all getting settled into our new remodel. A place for everything and everything in its place. What doesn’t get a place needs to find a place in someone else’s home. Being buried under too much seems gluttonous and not the way I want to live in my beautiful home. Teri and Brittney are good examples of ridding out what isn’t necessary. It isn’t wasteful when you donate and share your things with others. Heck, I may be getting rid of just what they are looking for. This truth doesn’t make it any easier when I see items in a garage sale that I gifted them but I can choose to be offended or stay away when they have their sale.

Right now I am in a healthy routine of Bible study and blogging each morning. But there are other bad habits I need to rid out with the clothes in my closet. Habits that are unhealthy need to be kicked to the curb and habits I have been avoiding that will benefit my life and my health need to become a routine. People say you can secure a habit in just a few weeks. Well here I sit with at least a couple weeks on my hands.

One popular method to build habits is called the 21/90 rule. The rule is simple enough. Commit to a personal or professional goal for 21 straight days. After three weeks, the pursuit of that goal should have become a habit. Once you've established that habit, you continue to do it for another ninety days.

Twenty one days huh? I probably could change my life if not my world. The way I look at the affects of this virus is that each of us has an opportunity to learn, grow and let the changes that benefit our society stick even after we no longer are socially distancing ourselves. It is always good to wash our hands and use hand sanitizer or pick up the phone and catch up with those we love and only see on Facebook. 

In reality there are times I have not called my aunts who are not on social media because my head said if they wanted to be in the loop, they should get in the loop. Perhaps my best new habit will be taking the time for others rather than creating my own isolation with my phone games and social media scrolling. But I am hoping that my closet’s diet will be satisfying too.

In Him,
Joyful
3-16-20

No comments:

Post a Comment