Monday, March 23, 2020

Join In~Right Now

Join in. Wait is that a sentence? I don’t need a subject if it is a command, right? The implied YOU is there. Well this command is for me as well as for you. Join in. Find a group, a place to join in. The truth is each of us needs community. Too often when we get in the funk that is depression we isolate and avoid at every turn joining in. Our answer becomes no not yes to including ourselves with others. Personally I call it trauma induced autism. The pulling away when we need to lean in the most. That is why I am so thankful for all those in my life who patiently and persistently drag me out of my comfort zone and get me to join in. So if you need to be dragged kicking or screaming let me know and I will relentlessly pursue you. If you see someone else distancing not physically because all of us are doing that right now through this Covid crisis. But if you see someone distancing emotionally reach out and pursue them. Not once, not twice but be a gnat that they can’t swat away until they engage and rise out of their isolation.

This time has been difficult and fabulous for me through socially distancing. Difficult because I was away from my home and community for several months so of course I want to get together with my people. Fabulous because Jenn and I have a Social Distancing Spirit Weeks facebook page that is brightening my day as well as that of hundreds of other people. So I am joining in rather than detaching. My goal is to reach out to my people and make actual phone calls not just quick texts or FB likes. It has been wonderful talking to my 70 something and 80 something aunts who are together at their house whether they like it or not. Mostly they like it! The other one who I keep reaching out to is my daughter who is a new mom. Felix is one month old and this should be a time when others are stopping by to love one him and his parents and tell them how adorable he is. Instead they are not.  I hope one day soon she feels like joining in on social media or personal video chats to connect and feel encouraged. Until then she will have to just put up with her Mom, his Noni calling and texting for pictures continuously.

Here is to joining in whatever that looks like for you today. Find a new podcast or YouTube channel to watch. I am currently binging on How to Faith a Life. This young mom is a whoot and I hope others find her as refreshing as I do.


In Him,
Joyful
3-23-20

No comments:

Post a Comment