Saturday, March 21, 2020

This is the Precious Present if We Open Our Eyes to See

The Precious Present by Spencer Johnson was a gift that helped me through a very hopeless season of infertility and medical disappointments. Someone gave me another copy when I got to the end of the realization that I was not going to form my family in my own womb but through the generous love of other mothers. Adoption became our road and hope. The next joy of adopting Logan led to his mother admitting that there was a hole in her heart two months after he became my son and my heart. Logan returned to his mother’s arms and became Austin. We had the faith and hope to begin immediately our search for a forever child. This was in April that we lost Logan and when we found another birth mother she was due in late August. I felt like curling into a ball and waiting for my life to begin again once our newborn was in my arms. That is when my wise friend sent me this book that I hadn’t read since college. Perfect timing.

The Precious Present is the present of the present time we are in no matter our circumstances. It occurs to me that we are all waiting for the time this social distancing and isolation is lifted. Waiting for life to get back to normal rather than appreciating the time we have in the safety of our own homes. These are stressful times with so much anxiety for the health and well being of those we love as well as for ourselves. What we would have wished for~~~days off to just relax and enjoy time with our families, has now somehow become a prison rather than a gift. I really think that the lack of choice is as much a part of these feelings as are the fears of the virus. Who among us wouldn’t say that the greatest thing in the world would be to have time at home to just be with our families and perhaps check some to do items off our list.

So in this present time I think we should begin referring to this as our unlimited staycation and realize that through the generosity of others and social media our needs will be met. People may be hoarding toilet paper in the stores but if you put it out on social media that you have a need they will share. Just ask the Haydens. I even said I would share. Realize I was only going to share the one ply Ron bought. But hey, beggars can’t be choosy. One ply is better than the extra laundry using a washcloth would involve.

In Him,
Joyful
3-21-20

1 comment:

  1. This is a helpful way of looking at the social isolation we are experiencing.

    ReplyDelete