How cool when we take something that sounds like a negative and turn it into a positive. Growing up I would think of doorbell ditch as a bunch of bored kids trying to annoy or piss off neighbors. The old fill a bag full of dog poo and light it on fire comes to mind. But as we are all staying at home people have found ways to stay connected and encourage each other by leaving a small gift on our doorsteps. Yesterday after our online service our pastors and their family brought us a box of Peeps and a bag of Hugs and Kisses chocolates. The message was not a shoe full of poop but that we are their peeps and even during social distancing we all have their hugs and kisses. So special, so uplifting that Jenn and I made doorbell ditching our daily spirit week Facebook theme. Can’t wait to see the clever ways others reach out to neighbors and friends. For my birthday this year Ron and I took Little Debbie birthday cakes to forty of our closest friends to include them in our celebrating me being sixty-four. It was a wonderful day in the car driving around together enjoying each other as we snuck up to doorways and left a small goodie. I hope that families do this together so they can connect while connecting with others. Looking outside seeing Lanessa and her girls with their sign what was bigger than the poster was their smiles. They were giving but were getting even more in doing for others.
Okay I couldn’t write about DD without being honest that my mischief was not always noble. When I was young a group of kids in our neighborhood in the Phoenix area were bored one summer day. As you would expect it was sweltering hot that late afternoon. We would be known to go door to door selling flowers we might have actually picked from the neighbors yard or any other trinket we mistakenly thought someone would pay for. In some ways we may have been the first traveling garage sale. Anyway that afternoon we went up to a house at the end of the block and there was a guy laying on his couch completely naked. So let me just say as an adult, I imagine this poor soul was home after working in the heat and in what should have been the privacy of his own home tried to cool off. Soon the word spread and the handful of kids staring at this guy became a crowd that was not as stealth as we thought. To his credit when he woke up to all those shocked faces in his window the guy just got up and went into another room. That was definitely not how he anticipated spending his day. Needless to say that excitement kept the neighborhood kids excited for the rest of the summer. But never again did this poor guy get to just relax in his own home after work. We made sure of that with our frequent visits to his doorstep.
Oh how I wish I could apologize to that innocent man for disturbing his peace and believing him to be some kind of a perv. Since that is not possible, I will do my best to be a generous DD for the rest of my life. Starting today with a few stops along the way..
In Him,
Joyful
4-20-20
No comments:
Post a Comment