Friday, May 1, 2020

My Silence is My Listening

Just listen, that is my task. Although this sounds simple it is really quite difficult. I just got a call from one of my adult girls and she was so upset. What she needed from me was my silence not my wisdom. Spending an hour just letting her release her tears, anger and hurt was exactly what she needed. I find it so hard at times to be the silent one that others need. Too often I want to interject my all knowing opinions about another's situation. How can I see the solutions when I am only hearing one side? So today for once I did the right thing. I prayed for silence to just be on the other end of the phone for her. Letting her come to her own conclusions about her situation and not grabbing it out of her hands. I prayed my prayer of comfort, courage, and direction for her as she screamed and cried into her cell phone. By the end of the one sided conversation she felt better. It didn't solve her circumstance but she knew she would be listened to and prayed for. The only reminder I gave her was this was not just about her but the other person in the relationship was hurting. Hurt people hurt people is true. We both agreed to pray continuously for their relationship after we hung up the phone. She will check in and let me know how things are going and if she needs to blast again I hope she calls.

Lord above comfort me
Give me courage, help me see
Guide my actions, guide my words
Let me know my prayers are heard.
Amen

In Him,
Joyful
5-1-20

No comments:

Post a Comment