Thursday, April 30, 2020

Shredding Through Six Decades

Yesterday I spent the day shredding old taxes and paperwork. It was quite a trip down memory lane for me. Some good memories and some that brought me to tears. It was time to rid our home of these not so useful weight. Going through my mom’s stuff last year I kept her taxes from the year I was born, 1956. Teri and I did a bit of shredding then too. Our oldest taxes were from 1973 which makes sense since Ron and I graduated high school in ‘74. I did keep the ones from the years our kiddos were born just because. It might be fun for them to see what things cost and how we spent our money back then. It ended up being a beautiful day walking down memory lane. It is said that you can tell what you value by your checkbook and calendar. That is so true. Looking at where we spent our money was full of joyful memories.

On a practical note, I took the shredded paper which was so bulky and drowned it in a big plastic tub to reduce its volume. This works great because even after it dried it took up so much less space. Today I look forward to finishing up and then our old master bedroom will be empty and ready for Natalie, Nate and baby Felix. They are hoping to stay with us for a couple months before moving into a place of their own. I don’t kid myself that New Mexico will be their forever home but it will be nice to have them here. For a few years now Ron and I have not had any kids or grandkids in our state. Thankfully we have wonderful young families who allow us to be Noni and Papa to their little ones. I don’t think I could survive without them close.

With this Covid situation and losing my Mom and Beth in the last year I have been thinking a lot about my own death. Not in a morbid way but just in the reality of getting older. The truth is I have had a few nightmares about it. The only thing I have fear of is that others will be horrified by the messes I have left. This makes no sense because I loved going through my mom’s things. But I do find myself wondering why there were toothpicks all over her house and what about the wadded up Kleenex? So I guess I did judge Mom in a way. This time of being home has been one of purging not only paperwork but so many other things I was hanging onto for no reason. Already I feel lighter with less in my space. My hope is to continue ridding out until I won’t be afraid of leaving this world for others to deal with my junk. Besides my sweet Nicole is willing to take everything I drop off and sell it for me, use it for her family, or pass it on to others who have a need. This simplifies my task. Ron and I keep reminding her that when she gets overwhelmed we can stop but so far she graciously accepts everything and deals with it.

So back to shredding and dunking my paperwork from the past sixty years. What a story those taxes have to tell. Better that some of our misspent purchases are recycled rather than remaining here to tattle on us. Thanks Peggy for the use of your shredder it is effectively doing the job.

In Him,
Joyful
4-30-20

No comments:

Post a Comment