I could not imagine being a mother to black sons or the mother of a white police officer. Each has to have such concern in their hearts for the safety of their sons. Knowing that each will be judged not for their actions but the actions of others. The terror of this situation keeps me on my knees and awake at night. How must the anxiety be for these sweet mammas who simply love their sons.
God knows. Our world is changing and His hand is in this. We didn’t get a worldwide flood like Noah but the changes can be as cleansing. A new day, a new voice, a new perspective, a timeout to come to a better place. A place where we listen and hear one another and see each other’s hearts without our judgmental glasses on.
My heart is crushed but even my silence can be perceived as detached rather than prayerful. I don’t want to push you away with my perspective and that will happen if I am not really heard. I have a son, a white son who suffered at the hands of jailers for his skin color. Know that my experiences bring me to where I am and even then I am evolving each and everyday. Don’t condemn me for past wrongs but praise me for present understanding. That is the grace I hope to extend to you. Erin Davis calls us to use a firehose of grace for each other and to empty our pocketful of rocks to throw. That is my prayer for myself. That I stop judging and preparing my arguments but listen to other people’s hearts. Empathy not apathy or anger. Now back to my knees.
In Him,
Joyful
6-9-20
No comments:
Post a Comment