Saturday, June 6, 2020

Not a Pocketful of Stones but Grace

I listened to a podcast on how to love each other when we disagree. It was simple. Listen to each other. Not wait my turn to speak or think of how I can convince someone of my perspective but listen to their words that are coming from their heart. The second advice was to have the conversation one on one and not on social media. The backstory of why we believe how we believe is more convincing and creates awareness of how each of us came to the opinions and conclusions we have.

I liked this idea and hope to be intentional about truly hearing others. Too often I am grounded in my own view and don’t take the time to see it from another’s perspective. Most of us want to be heard by each other especially those we love. The example that was given on this podcast for hearing the whole story was about coming out of the shelter in place. Some who are caring for elderly family members will likely be more slow to expose themselves and in turn their loved ones. Those who have little children may be more cautious because of how their kiddos depend on them. They can’t afford to get sick. I recognize that in my season I am less cautious since I am not caring for my mom and my kids are all grown. The stakes are not as high for me as they are for some people.

 Rather than just blasting my opinion I need to listen and consider where they are coming from. Why are they feeling so convicted on whatever we are conversing about. This podcast really touched me. I know I am not just hiding posts that are politically motivated on both sides. I am judging those who posted it and kind of using my hide button as a ‘take that’ to their opinion. The last thing this podcaster said was to fill our pockets with grace rather than stones. Have grace to take out and toss at others rather than the stones of judgement. That was just the visual I needed. I don’t want to walk around with a pocketful of weapons to assure that I will win. It is not about me but about loving each other even when we disagree.

In Him,
Joyful
6-6-20

1 comment: