Watching my Bible study this morning an author spoke on how we compare ourselves to each other. She held up a measuring cup and provided the visual of the lines that measure and how we measure ourselves next to other people. Some of us fall short in our own eyes and some think we rise above others. Either way comparison divides. It casts our focus on the wrong aspects. She pointed out when we tip that same measuring cup to pour out into others the lines are irrelevant. We need to be continuously finding ways to pour out and let the comparisons fall away.
We typically think of comparing as who has what or what they are contributing. But in this time of hurt and brokenness in our country the comparisons go much deeper. Too often we are quick to express our opinions on other people’s actions or words rather than trying to put ourselves in their heart and truly seeing where they are coming from. It occurs to me that we cling to our ‘side’ of the argument by only watching those who agree with us and only conversing with those who will agree with our perspective. I am so guilty of this. The reality is everyone is doing their best and has a heart for what is right. But our approaches can be polar opposites.
This morning humbled me and quite frankly stung a bit. I pride myself in being a generous, selfless person. But the truth is I rarely can see the other side of an argument. I cling to my rightness rather than considering another person’s heart. For that I am repentant today. Ron and I are going to vote this afternoon. How dare I shake my head believing that my choices are more pure than others. Seeing each other’s hearts requires us to listen not with cynicism but with an ear for understanding. Clinging to only one side is divisive. None of us can see the whole picture and neither side is right or wrong. They are just different approaches to bringing about change for the better.
I am going to focus on pouring into others not just time and money but attention to what they are actually expressing from their hearts. It feels a bit scary to allow other perspectives in but that is the only way this division is going to subside. One heart seeing another at a time.
In Him,
Joyful
6-2-20
Happy 64th to my Ronnie B.
WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE #668
3 days ago
No comments:
Post a Comment