Ron and I are sixty-four. Wow! We have spent a lifetime together. Tomorrow is our forty-third anniversary but we were high school sweethearts long before our wedding day. Of course I always knew this Beatle’s song the lyrics are so familiar. But I guess I never realized how relatable it would be as we sit here reflecting on a lifetime together and more comfortable in our time together. Yes, Ron is losing his hair. If I am honest so am I. We often share a bottle of wine in the evenings. We eat together on our back porch looking out at young families at the park behind our home. Although I don’t knit I do crochet and we both have brandished a hammer and drill in remodeling our house to add the perfect master suite upstairs. We also have recently been to the nursery to buy plants for our vegetable garden and pots to set on the front step. So we are weeding together just like the song suggests. What warms my heart is that somehow the writer of these lyrics appreciated the comfort of a forever love and how precious it would be when our days are slower and less hectic. Each season has been a gift. I remember thinking forty would forever be my favorite decade birthday because my children were still under our roof. But now I appreciate that even though I miss those days, I am enjoying this new quieter life. What is key is being content in whatever time we are in. I will smile today when I look in the mirror and my reflection is not that of an eighteen year old. Blessed to have matured into these wrinkles and grey hair with my Ronnie B. at my side. On a funny note, when we were playing this song on Ron’s sixty-fourth birthday yesterday, we both were singing, will you still need me, will you still please me” rather than feed me. I chuckled this morning when I saw the actual lyrics. Guess there is still a fire in our furnace for each other all these decades later.
In Him, Joyful. 6-3-20
When I get older losing my hair
Many years from now
Will you still be sending me a Valentine
Birthday greetings bottle of wine
Many years from now
Will you still be sending me a Valentine
Birthday greetings bottle of wine
If I'd been out till quarter to three
Would you lock the door
Will you still need me, will you still feed me
When I'm sixty-four
Would you lock the door
Will you still need me, will you still feed me
When I'm sixty-four
You'll be older too
And if you say the word
I could stay with you
And if you say the word
I could stay with you
I could be handy, mending a fuse
When your lights have gone
You can knit a sweater by the fireside
Sunday mornings go for a ride
Doing the garden, digging the weeds
Who could ask for more
When your lights have gone
You can knit a sweater by the fireside
Sunday mornings go for a ride
Doing the garden, digging the weeds
Who could ask for more
Will you still need me, will you still feed me
When I'm sixty-four
When I'm sixty-four
No comments:
Post a Comment