As long as I am right it doesn’t matter if I am loving. I may win the argument but I will lose the person that I am setting straight. Do I have credibility as a person who loves or am I more concerned with proving my point. What I confuse way too often is acceptance and agreement. In this world I don’t have to be ugly and spew my truths to be convicted of what I believe. I can choose to strive to be loving and accepting of all people especially those I profoundly disagree with. Yesterday, I blocked one of the most important people in my life for her posts on social media. I felt she was wrong and I couldn’t let her views stand. Later I unblocked her and prayed to accept her even in our disagreement. I am not responsible for other people’s opinions or beliefs. My heart needs to be in loving them for who they are not when they see the light that is my opinion. It is not worth it to win the argument and lose the person. Checking my own words and actions is a far better use of my time than to spend it judging others and shaking my head in at their views. I need to remember that Jesus’ love for me was not Him agreeing with my sin but loving me in spite of my poor choices. He loves me even when I am breaking His heart. Who am I to block someone for their passions even when they are at polar opposites to my own?
Pastor Josh shared just the word I needed this morning in the light of day to see my own fault in blocking my person. I can hide her post because I don’t agree with it but I will not block her because that would be not accepting her right to have her own thoughts and beliefs. Quite honestly my own thoughts have swung like a pendulum throughout my life and I am grateful that my family and friends have not disowned me for my changing heart. Bottom line I do want to be known for my love not for being right and winning the argument. That is just exhausting and lonely.
` Corinthians 13
PERFECT LOVE never stops loving, is incredibly patient, gentle, kind, it refuses to be jealous, doesn’t brag, it does not shame or disrespect, it is not selfish, irritated and doesn’t take offense. 4 Love is large and incredibly patient. Love is gentle and consistently kind to all. It refuses to be jealous when blessing comes to someone else. Love does not brag about one’s achievements nor inflate its own importance. 5 Love does not traffic in shame and disrespect, nor selfishly seek its own honor. Love is not easily irritated or quick to take offense. 6 Love joyfully celebrates honesty and finds no delight in what is wrong. 7 Love is a safe place of shelter, for it never stops believing the best for others. Love never takes failure as defeat, for it never gives up.
I want to live like that. Living in perfect love seems like the life goal. When it is all said and done I want people around me that accept me not those who simply agree with me. After all that is what live is about.
In Him,
Joyful
7-5-20
No comments:
Post a Comment