SF
It is better to give than to receive.
This time of year we anxiously await others opening the gift that we thoughtfully purchased or made to see their eyes light up. When they receive not only the gift but our heart for them out of the wrapping paper. The true joy of Christmas is the time we spend considering those we love and what special something will brighten their joy.
The handmade cards, sweet notes sent, cookies baked, and decorations strung up around us are just a few examples of the gift of giving, the blessing of blessing others. Yesterday I spoke with my grandkids who were having a cookie baking day. I foolishly asked if they made any gluten free ones for their Mama. Silly Noni!!! They only made gluten free ones. That way their mom could pick up any cookie safely and enjoy it. Their heart is clear that those cookies will be much more delicious because they were heart cookies.
Others before ourselves is the joy of not only the holidays but each and every day of the year. Little surprises and unexpected moments return tenfold to the giver. Saturday I was having an emotional day missing my sister who should not be missing from us. So I did what gives me joy. I bought foot long candy canes and drove around town giving them to those who don’t have a home this Christmas. What my mom taught me was just giving is not enough. So I parked my car, got out, looked them in the eyes, introduced myself then gave them this unexpected treat. One man with crystal blue eyes told me a few years ago that nobody sees him. People may hand him a dollar or two but there is rarely a connection. Ron is a good example of connecting. He doesn’t buy a man a meal. He sits down on the curb alongside him and shares a meal. Cam and Brittney’s God Bless You bags that had hand sanitizer, fruit snacks, peanut butter cheese crackers and a Capri Sun were always in their backseat and ready to be handed out the car window. Those bags led me to making and distributing bags with a little positive note of encouragement inside. I have not made those in a few years.That is definitely something I need to get back to. Natalie pointed out that it is good to have those bags available. Not only does she hand them out but there have been occasions where she couldn’t grab lunch and that little pick me up sustained her.
Each of us are waking up this Christmas Eve with family traditions that warm us. Sharing moments like these are the pearls of life that remind us of the love we are so blessed with from those in our lives. Today as I mess up my kitchen with posole prep and cinnamon rolls that my Ryan won’t be here to help me make. I am going to enjoy the Christmas tunes on Alexa and take time to reflect on all the presents of this present time and remember those no longer with me. I will try my best to recall their smiles as the memories of time spent together brings a smile of my own. The connections we have with each other are the true blessings and gifts of life. Being intentional about staying in touch is the greatest gift we give ourselves.
In Him,
Joyful
12-24-20 Christmas Eve
No comments:
Post a Comment