Instant gratification can rob us of anticipation. Technology has transformed our world and made access so immediate. From Siri to Alexa we can just speak a question and get an answer. We can listen to most any song even ones from way back in our childhood days. This is awesome in so many ways.
Rather than having a shelf full of encyclopedias to look up an answer that was printed a few years ago or receiving the updates once a year, the internet is continuously updated. One question is who and how is it updated? Even my lists are different. I just tell Alexa to put items on my shopping list as I notice they are running low. Before I scribbled it on a piece of paper that I inevitably misplaced or left at home when I am at the store. Now my housekeeper can tell Alexa when I need more Windex or more Swiffer pads.
So I have always felt like the joy of anticipation is so rich. When we made plans to go to Alaska with our kids in 2000 we scoped out places to see and things to do along the way. Everyone anxiously awaited our launch date. Some families surprise their kiddos with a trip to Disneyland or a day at the beach. Surprise is good. Anticipation is good. In this world of having so much at our fingertips we need to balance it with some long term plans. Heck, we only have to wait a day or two for Amazon to bring to our doorstep practically anything on earth. Maybe microwaves started this roll to instant gratification. Popcorn popped in three minutes rather than ten to fifteen on the stove.
As summer arrives we need to take a look at the calendar for the next three months. Make a plan to add people, trips and events to our summer that we can look forward to. This summer for us has two weddings and trips to them that I look forward to. Ron has kept a three month calendar since he retired so we can see at a glance what is coming up. Sometimes it is not too full and others it is crowded with upcoming happenings. My hope is to balance the gift of technology and spontaneity with looking forward with expectation to our calendar happenings.
"Alexa, remind me to add this to my calendar."
At the end of the year I always enjoyed looking at our calendar to reflect on how our year unfolded. Once it was filled with kids sports and activities. Now it hangs untouched in my kitchen with all the little squares blank. Perhaps I need to get back to filling in my calendar. The only record I have of what we did last year is my checkbook that I sift through to do taxes. Well, not really a checkbook but ATM receipts.
In Him,
Joyful
No comments:
Post a Comment