My why has to be clear before the how even matters. This was said during the iretireforHim YouTube video. Recently, I have been putting my book in my purse everywhere I go. The why is reaching others with my journey and testimony to let them know that even in the most difficult times God never leaves our side. The how I will share my story is to put it in the hands of as many people as I can not for fame or fortune but for others to recognize they don’t have to walk alone.
The why of changing my sheets every week has shifted over the years. When Ron and I worked we took our showers in the morning so when we crawled between the sheets our daily grime was on us. So washing the sheets every week was necessary. Now that we are retired we shower in the evening right before bed. Why wash clean sheets every week when every couple of weeks will be enough. Don’t judge me. I am saving the planet with my water and soap conservation.
I love the~ i retire for Him concept and group. Studies have found that people feel the most purpose in life during their thirties. It is woefully low during our sixties and just gets lower during seventies, eighties and beyond. God wants to use us to share His love throughout our lives. The ways we do that change as we move from season to season.
Ron and I have been taking frequent trips in our 1989 RV that we love. The wheel cover on the back says Adventure Before Demensia. That wheel cover starts so many conversations. People take selfies with it and drive up next to us expecting white hair and we don’t disappoint, From a simple conversation started we can share a bit of our journey while listening to young people’s future plans or older couple’s memories. God provides opportunities to love on others from even a clever quote placed on a tire that is only there in case of an emergency. Ironic that the spare tire cover is an opener to share His presence in times of emergency. Never do we start with a bullhorn of sharing but begin by listening to their stories. A couple months ago we met a sweet girl who just graduated from high school and was traveling from New Hampshire all over the west alone in her modified Honda CRV. She and her dad made a bed by taking out the back seat. What an adventurous person! Susi and her dad modified her yellow VW bug back in the seventies. The difference between this young lady and Susi was that it didn’t take as much faith on the surface to adventure alone. Today her parents can keep in touch with her to make sure she is safe by FaceTime and phone calls. Susi’s parents heard from her occasionally along the way but never could speak with her to check in on demand. Perhaps it takes more faith to let your daughter explore in these more angry times. But she was being safe and avoiding hot spots of crime and big cities. I was just so impressed by her bubbly personality and hearing her dreams. After listening to her we exchanged FB info and phone numbers and told her she always had a place to shower and stay in northern NM. Connecting is key to sharing our love and then His.
Purpose is possible even in this season of more times on our hands that is sprinkled with more rest and less demands. My friend Pat quilts to share her talent and love with others. It has become her ministry and she even uses her own money for supplies as well as the countless hours at her long arm. Opportunities to connect are everywhere if we just be more aware of them. I love those commercials about not becoming like your parents. They make me laugh. But one thing they get wrong is that maybe the waiter doesn’t need to know my name but I should know his. Seeing people is always the way to go. Knowing their name and not just asking for more catsup but asking Steve for more catsup matters. When I stop and really look in the eyes of a homeless woman and hear her story, that connection and her being seen is more valuable than the money I give. This is not me being so selfless. These encounters enrich my life and I share them with others. Retiring with purpose is the best way to go. We all need to be needed. That is what life is about and will keep us from feeling alone as long as we are on this side of Heaven.
Make your why big enough to find out the how. Connection is a good why and sharing His love is as well.
In Him,
Joyful
No comments:
Post a Comment