Friday, March 18, 2022

I am a Work~In~Progress, How About You?


 

Can I just say that the answer to are you finished is probably and quite possibly should be........NO. We are all works in progress and the projects that we take on are never finished. Once we get to the end there is always a shift to a new 'to do'. Ronnie B. and I began remodeling our home years ago. Truth be told we have not had tile in our bathroom shower for well over a decade. No need for concern. I staple new clear shower curtains up every year. But our remodel is far from finished. It is with pride that we share our progress like our beautiful backsplash that was finished this week. But there are always more to check off the list to completion. 

Isn't that how it is in life? We are all striving to live the life we desire. Our focus and effort take us toward the goal but when we get close our goal post moves. The sign language sign for goal is one arm outstretched with a finger raised and the other hand moving from beside your ear to your outstretched finger to join the raised fingers to one another.

The truth is life is about making and working toward goals. Our frustration is when we beat ourselves up for not attaining the goals we are chasing. Don't get me wrong. There are goals that we do complete and pat ourselves on the back and move to the next one. But most goals are those that can always be improved upon. Communicating better, being more generous and understanding, containing our judgements and temper, eating healthy, and so many others can always be improved upon. 

My wrist tattoo is my goal verse in the Bible, Let love and kindness be the motivation in all you do. This is definistely in the work in progress category for me. I am not saying I am not kind and loving but I can always move closer to both. What I am finding at almost sixty-six years of age (yes, i am still younger than Susi) is that I don't need to beat myself up for being in progress. Instead, I can celebrate the growth I have made and the back splash that I love. The truth is that I am not where I was back at the beginning of the sign for goal even if I have not arrived. I have moved and in that movement is growth. 

So here is to growing in 2022 and beyond. Don't get me wrong. I do hope to shrink in pant size but grow in the fruits of the spirit: Love, joy, peace, patience,  kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. I strive toward these but I am still a work in progress.

In Him,

Joyful

3-18-22

No comments:

Post a Comment