I can face hard things. I can't face hard things alone. Erin Davis
I know that is why we are to live in community to share one another's struggles, joys, triumphs, and heartbreaks. Even Christ had His twelve but also more intimately His three to be in relationship with during even the most crushing time of condemnation and crucifixion. It is absolutely true that Jesus is only a prayer away from comforting me. But it is also true that the relationships I nurture and feed with my handful of closest friends. They are there to lift me up when I need the support of their words and their actions. This week I have not been in touch with my closest confidants. Even without a phone call or text, I know they are with me and they know my heart even when I don't reach out.
Natalie called me selfless a few years ago. I disagree with her assessment of my doing for others. The truth is that whatever I do to support people around me circles back and gives me more than I ever gave in the first place. Being generous with time, talent, and treasure does impact those I share with but it also impacts my life as well.
It used to make me sad that I was born on a Wednesday since it says a child of woe is born on that day. My sister was born on Sunday, a child of grace. That sounds way more appealing. Who wants to be known as a child of woe? It conjures up images of Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh with his head drooping down and his pity party always at the ready. What I have transformed this image into is that although my life has had much sorrow, it is how I have been surrounded with love and support through the heart crushing moments that lifts my head. There is much more to be grateful for in community than there is to lament. Perception is the function of contrast and knowing that I don't have to carry the hardships of life alone gives me the right perception.
Each one of us can face hard things when we don't have to face them alone. A kitten can adjust to being taken from it's mama and litter mates because it is cuddled and loved by the family who is thrilled to welcome it home. We can adjust to the loss of a loved one or terrifying diagnosis when we are embraced by those we embrace in life. Having your handful of people who know you and are known by you makes life bearable in the dark and extra joyful in the celebrations.
Thank you to my tribe for loving me even in my absence these past few weeks. Just know that you have been with me every step of every day. I love you and feel your love for me even in my chaotic silence.
In Him,
Joyful
4-11-22

No comments:
Post a Comment