Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Then and Now with the Right Perspective

 

This just made me laugh. It is more true than I care to admit. Seasons of life change and we can complain about it or laugh through it. Yesterday, I saw a woman in her late eighties with her two granddaughters getting a new iPhone to go with her Apple Watch. Now she had the right idea. Not allowing technology to scare her but embracing it while accepting help from those who love helping her. She may never use all the functions of either device but she is willing to learn even at her age.

I remember years ago when digital cameras came out. My thought was not to embrace but cling to my film rolls. Little did I know then that life would be so much better by letting go of the familiar and grabbing hold of the future. There is no Apple Watch on my arm yet but I won’t say there never will be one there. The other truth in this octogenarians life was that she was willing to ask for and accept help when she needed it. It is time to humble ourselves and admit when we can use a hand from those around us. My role has been that of the fixer and it is difficult for me to change my stripes even though it is time. Time to embrace the gifts and challenges of life in my sixties. The gifts are of extra time and less schedule. The challenge of navigating with hands that aren’t as strong and balance that is not what it once was. Fortunately, many of the items on my list are not ones that I have to deal with. Okay the muffin top is real but hey my grandpa used to pat his and declare it was paid for. 

As life progresses the most important thing is our attitudes toward the stage we are in life. Whether you are home with toddlers trying to juggle work and family or you are in your empty nest phase, embrace your now. I remember reading The Precious Present by Spencer Johnson when I was in a season of waiting. It has always stuck with me that the present I am in should not be a waiting until but a time to enjoy. The next thing will come in due time but don’t miss the now looking forward or back. The present is precious when you live in it with the right attitude. Even hot flashes can be a gift when its cold outside. 

In Him,

Joyful

12-14-22

No comments:

Post a Comment