Connections are what makes life the best. It doesn’t have to be family, although often it is. Those siblings and cousins we grow up with that know way too much about us can be forever friends. Kids we go to school with can stay in our lives forever. Then there are seasonal friends who we sit at t-ball practice with cheering on each others kiddos. These may only pass through our lives or remain in it. As we build our careers, we also build a work family that can be as close as actual family. How ever people get connected to our lives, it is a gift to walk with them through our years.
Lately, I have been intentional about refreshing the connections that I have neglected too long. I am in this sixties season with so many now the matriarchs and patriarchs of our clans. It is comforting to have others that know our history and share our memories. Recently, I got to take a trip with my Susi. She was my college roommate, helped Ron and I with adoption and was there for summers, Thanksgivings and so many embarrassing moments. If I said a garlic situation was one of the most embarrassing you would scratch your head. How could garlic possibly be something to keep private. I will never tell.
Just because there are people in life that have been there for years, there is still room in our hearts to add new relationships to our hearts. The past few weeks I have had the opportunity to walk beside some of my closest friends in life concerning circumstances. It was an honor to be there for them. After all, they are always here for me. I am learning to cope with this tremor in my arm and hand that is impacting my life. It would be so much more frightening to unravel this new way of living on my own. The truth is, we are all complex, our stories are complex, our families are complex. Sharing our hearts with a few close friends makes the difficult situations more bearable and the sweet victories even more special. Knowing what it took to get through to the celebrations is special.
Let’s all be intentional about reaching out to our people. Heck, invite them to lunch and pick up the tab. Don’t be afraid to order dessert first. Life is short let’s live it together.
In Him,
Joyful
3-15-23

No comments:
Post a Comment