Sunday, April 9, 2017

My First, Last and Most Precious Birthday Greeting

The past few years have been a struggle for my son Tanner. If only he knew how precious his words are to me. My sweet son woke me up at 4:30 am to be the first to wish me a happy birthday. Then at moments before midnight he made sure he was the last to wish me a special day. I adore my son and have confidence that his journey is just beginning.

His texts.

Just wanted to be the first one to wish you a happy birthday so I set my alarm for 4:30. Happy birthday my wonderful mother. I could not ask for a better person to have raised me and allowed me to get to be a part of your life. You have raised a wonderful young man because your best attributes were passed on to me. I am patient and kind and a wonderful listener because  you taught me how to be. You showed me compassion and love when I didn't deserve it. You showed me what unconditional love truly means. You have such a big heart and couldn't be more kind and giving with everything you have. I hope that I am half the person you are. I love you so, so, so much mother and I am so proud to be your son. Ryan wishes you a happy birthday as well and wants you to be happy on this day. Live every day as if it were your last. He is watching down on us and smiling. He loves his mother so deeply and taught me how to love without judgement. You truly are the best mother a boy could ask for. I hope you have a wonderful day Mommy. I am going back to sleep now. I will call you later on.  T

My family is a chosen family. Adoption brought us all together but our hearts wove us into a family. Tanner knows that each year my birthday is bittersweet. Losing our Ryan the day after my birthday seven years ago was the most difficult time of our lives. As the years go past we brace ourselves for the grief that still sweeps us off our feet at this time of year. These words from my too generous son are the most precious gift I could receive.

Thank you T for waking me up so early and ending my day with a warm hug from you.

In Him,
Joyful
4-9-17


No comments:

Post a Comment