Thursday, December 13, 2018

Count My Blessings Not My Heartbreaks

I love wrapping Christmas presents while watching Hallmark movies. Yesterday, I spent the evening wrapping and reflecting on all the glorious, family Christmas gatherings Ron and I have shared. This year we are going to Los Angeles for a warm time with Bethany and Tanner. It will be wonderful to spend time with them but we will miss our other kids, grandkids and extended family.

Losing Ryan almost a decade ago has helped us treasure each gift of time spent together with those we love. It will never be what it once was with our kids young and living under one roof. But it is still a gift that they are sharing holidays with those they love and building memories with their own families. Life moves through phases. Some are full of sadness and loss and some are filled with new life and joy. It is a decision to live life and appreciate what we do have rather than dwelling on the sadness. I choose joy.

It has been five years since we spent a holiday with our Tanner. I can’t wait to simply be in his presence and touch his face. God has blessed me with a life far beyond my hopes. Too many times I have doubted and fallen into despair. Each time I have seen His hand gently guiding my path. The greatest gift of my life is truly my faith, family and friends. We all say that but I couldn’t imagine living life without each of them.

In Him,
Ronnie B.

2 comments:

  1. Count and enjoy those precious moments with the people you love, you are so right. Since the death of my husband in 2016 it is all too easy to despair. We started a group for widows at my church which is a nice support group. Enjoy your time with Tanner and family, I know you will. My sons and I will celebrate at my house on Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terra, it has been five years of my son living on the streets or being incarcerated from heroin addiction. We are praying this is the time he will be able to stand stronger than his addictions.

    ReplyDelete