My archioengineer husband was explaining to his cousin yesterday how he got started. It was enlightening to just sit in the backseat and listen as his story unfolded. His Mom’s love for archeology was shared with him since he was a little boy in Ecuador. He shared how he took me out with his family when we were still in high school. At least a decade ago he began the Stone Calendar project. That has mushroomed into his research today. He now continues his understanding of these expertly set up calendars as well as sharing with others through talks all over the Southwest.
I loved hearing him recount his heart for understanding people from long ago. Ron says uncovering how the calendars work is like looking into these past people’s lab books. He never fails to be impressed with their engineering and intelligence. This project has also connected him with people in Hopi, Zuni, and other communities throughout our region.
The truth is I am not much of an archeologist or an engineer but I am understanding a bit more each time I hear Ron speak. Audience questions often answer my own that I didn’t even know I should ask. Ron says he wears out tires and boots chasing his answers. This hobby that got out of hand has been such a gift to us. Hey, we even get to stay in awesome hotel rooms when he has a talk. And watching others listen and learn from my guy makes me so proud. Even if the hot hours spent just outside Yuma, AZ or southern Utah can be agonizing. Windows up to keep the flies out or windows down to get a little breeze. Choices, choices. Overall I wouldn’t change a thing.
In Him,
Joyful
2-2-19
WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE #668
4 days ago
No comments:
Post a Comment