Friday, January 24, 2020

Avoidance Worry, Completion Joy

Oh happy day! I completed something that I have been avoiding for too long. Can I be perfectly honest here? It was a simple task and I don't know why I kept doing everything but getting it done. My mind was filled with worry over it for months. Wondering if there would be consequences for not completing this chore. When I finally scheduled it I realized it was not overwhelming at all. It was accomplished in a couple of hours with the help of a friend I confided in. Now I am at peace and this is not taking up space in my mind. Freedom!

So if I am completely honest I will admit it was our 2018 taxes. Yep, we filed an extension that expired in October yet I didn't get my courage to just complete it. There were a million excuses I had for putting off this required task. Yesterday, I sat with a friend and had everything I needed and it only took an hour and a half. Everything was mostly together but I was missing the paper from my retirement. Rather than searching for it, I called. It was emailed to me within minutes. The stumbling block I thought was overwhelming was only a pebble in my path. How big I allowed it to become. The thought of searching through to find that one piece of paper stopped my forward motion.

It is true that I have been gone a lot this year. It has been an emotional time caring for my Mom then walking with Beth through cancer. But that was not what stopped me from completing my paperwork. It was avoidance. I didn't want to do it. Past years have been hard with taxes being a sore spot with Ron and I. But they have been uneventful in the past few years so I really just used that as an excuse to put them off.

What other simple project or responsibility am I letting avoidance keep me from completing? Getting it done is the least of the accomplishment. Getting it out of my head and focus is the real gift of completion. I think I will get my stuff together for 2019 and have it ready to go as soon as I get back home from meeting my grandson. It will be a shock if I actually file taxes before April 15th. Be still my heart!

In Him,
Joyful
1-24-20

3 comments:

  1. I avoid certain tasks too, though usually do my taxes a bit early. I avoided taking my car in for servicing all of last year (and more) and then on Dec.28 it wouldn't start in a grocery parking lot. Foolish me! Don't worry, the car was towed for free with insurance, and a new battery installed and the car was serviced for a reasonable price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best when our avoidance doesn't cost extra. Luckily, we paid estimated so were ahead of the game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you have that off your mind. I know the feeling!

    ReplyDelete