Saturday, January 11, 2020

Embracing Moms Let’s Get This Party Started

Embracing Moms is a concept that is on my heart and it is time to get this party started. Let me give a brief background to clarify my vision. Years ago I worked with the Help program that provided rides to people with medical appointments with the help of seniors. We had a list of volunteer drivers and got the word out through doctors and communities that if someone needed a ride they could call and we would do our best to match them to a volunteer. This was a win/win. The seniors and other volunteers loved being involved and helpful and the patients needed rides since many services were as much as a 100 miles away from our small community. I was fortunate to be a driver but also the one that received calls and paired them with volunteers. It was awesome.

My vision for Embracing Moms is to get a collection of empty nest moms like me that don’t have kids or grandkids living near. Then get the word out to moms with overflowing nests that we hope to pair them with a EM to give them an hour or two when they need it. Just step in and walk beside them. So many young families don’t live near extended families that can pitch in. I have been fortunate to attend school plays for a mom who couldn’t get off work, hang out with a sick fourth grader who was needing a place to spend the day, to just being included when a mom needs a break to take a bubble bath and know her wee one is in loving arms. My hope is that moms will connect with a particular EM and develop a relationship. There will hopefully be some occasional users but also those who are frequent flyers.

I am working with my tattoo artist son on a logo and hope to order business cards within the next couple weeks and meet with some potential EMs in our community. Even more ambitious I would like to take my idea on the road and visit churches in our area to get more people who could use our help and EMs. I don’t have any kids or grandkids in New Mexico so I have the time to step in and walk beside young families. There is a Family Strengths Network that supports families so I hope to connect with them as well.

This has been on a back burner in my mind for the past 6 years. It is time to get off my butt and make this a reality. What I get from the families in my life is enormous and I want to gift others with similar experiences.

In Him,
Joyful
1-11-19

No comments:

Post a Comment